Storm Water & Floodplain Management


Pursuant to Chapter 16-03-010 of the Farmington Municipal Code a stormwater (land disturbance) permit shall be required for any building permit.

There are two different permit types that are used to control all Land Disturbances with Farmington
City’s MS4 permit.

  1. City SWPPP (most common) – $135.00 – This application is to be used only on parcels less than one acre and ARE NOT part of a Common Plan of Development [i.e. subdivision]
  2. State SWPPP – $450.00 – This application is to be used only on parcels greater than one
    acre or ARE part of a Common Plan of Development
    Please use the criteria listed above to select the appropriate permit in which you are applying for.

For any land disturbance permits, please contact Brent White at 801-939-9286 or email at 

Applicant is encouraged to review the Site Plan Checklist as a reference before submitting their site plan

If your project is within a FEMA-defined Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) a Floodplain Development Permit must be completed.

Click Here for Floodplain Development Permit

Once you have completed the supporting material and attached it to the Stormwater (Land Disturbance) Permit application you will be asked to pay the fee and deposit the bond amounts prior to any site activities.

What is Storm Water?

Stormwater is, in essence, just what it sounds like: water from a storm.  Any precipitation that falls from the sky, including rain, hail, and snow, is considered stormwater.

In urban settings, water cannot soak through pavement and rooftops like it can into the soil. As a result, cities have larger amounts of stormwater runoff than forests and fields do. Water flows off of impervious surfaces (such as driveways, rooftops, sidewalks, roads, and parking lots) and then collects in gutters or basins which run directly into storm drains. These drains carry the water as well as sediment, garbage, & toxic chemicals suspended in the stormwater directly to our lakes and streams.

Water quality in an area generally starts to become impaired when impervious land cover rises above 10 percent. The more impervious cover, the greater the risk that your watershed is contaminated.

Why Should I Care?

Stormwater runoff plays a large role in local water pollution.  As the runoff flows across the ground, it picks up pollutants and carries them into local waterways, such as rivers, lakes, and streams, before eventually making its way into the Great Salt Lake.  In a natural system, a variety of plants act as filters that clean pollution from the water as it percolates into the ground.  Without these natural filters, pollutants and other debris accumulate and are washed into bodies of water.

In addition to transporting pollutants, runoff can also cause erosion and sedimentation by sweeping away and displacing soil.  It can also cause localized flooding when storm drains take on too much water at once.

Farmington City & Storm Water Management

Farmington City has a Small MS4 General UPDES Permit, UTR090006, in conjunction with the State of Utah Department of Environmental Quality. This authorizes the City to discharge stormwater to “waters of the State”. Pursuant to UPDES Permit 4.0 Farmington City has developed a Storm Water Management Plan (SWMP) to convey stormwater discharges compliantly. This SWMP guides Farmington City in the administration of items from Public Outreach & Education, to how Building Permits are issued. Your input on this SWMP is valuable, and considered; diverse opinions can help build a more efficient SWMP. Please study, or skim this document and email me your comments @

Storm Water Management Program

Farmington City: Title 16 Storm Water Ordinance

Utah Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (UPDES) Permit





City Facilities






Animal Waste>>>

Lawn Waste>>>



You are required to bond (to the amount of $700 + $1,100 per acre, not to exceed $4,000) with the City of Farmington for the duration of your project. This is to fiscally incentivize you to comply with Chapter 16 of the Farmington Municipal Code which ensures persons, property, and public infrastructure is protected and standardized.


If you violate Chapter 16, via non-compliance with the Stormwater (Land Disturbance) Permit and its supporting documents then the Stormwater Official has the ability to administer a fine against your project. This fine will be deducted from your deposited Stormwater Bond.

The following is a list of common SWPPP violations and their corresponding fines.

ViolationInitial Offense2nd Offense3rd Offense
Lapse of UPDES Permit Coverage$60 per month out of coverage
SWPPP not posted on site$100$200$400
Tracking of soil off site$100$200$400
Housekeeping Violations$100$200$400
BMP’s are not installed as shown on SWPPP$100$200$400
Not completing On Site Inspections$150$300$600
Uncontrolled Storm Water around site$150$300$600
Improper Chemical Storage$150$300$600
Soil/Construction Material Stacked on Impervious Surface$150$300$600
Improper Sediment Control$150$300$600
Improper Outhouse location/ not staked down$150$300$600
Failure to Maintain Records of SWPPP$200$400 with Stop Work Order
Illegal Discharge from site$300$600 with Stop Work Order
Improper Concrete Washout$300$600 with Stop Work Order
Failure to Obtain a permit$500 with Stop Work Order
Failure to Implement the SWPPP$500 with Stop Work Order
* 3rd Offense will be accompanied with a Stop Work Order
* Fines are minimums and can be adjusted to compensate for the severity of the infraction.

Floodplain Permit

For questions contact Brent White or (801) 939-9286.

What is a Floodplain?

This is land around our bodies of water that takes on excess water when there is a flood. If we manage them wisely, we can reduce the risk of life safety issues arising and property damage when snowmelt or a heavy storm overwhelm the banks.

Why are Floodplains important?

We are not only concerned about safety and property, we are also concerned about clean water. A healthy floodplain gives water space to spread out and slow down. This keeps the water cleaner, and gives our aquafers a chance to use that water to get a little recharge.

When do I need a Floodplain Development Permit?

Farmington City Code 11-31-060 states that a development permit shall be obtained before construction or development begins within any area of special flood hazard area.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides interactive FLOODPLAIN MAPS for your convenience. This does include a search bar where you can type in your home address to see your potential risk. There are hard copies of these maps located at Farmington City Hall with our Engineering Department. Please remember that water does not care about lines on a map, anywhere precipitation occurs can flood under the right conditions.


Email to schedule an “SW Final Site / Grading Inspection”. The submitted site plan (in the process above) will be utilized to ensure your project meets Farmington City standards and has been completed to protect persons, property, and public infrastructure from stormwater. Upon successful completion of the inspection, your Stormwater Bond will be released from the City and mailed to you via a check.